How do I open a file?
To open a file in the Data Archive, undertake the following steps:
1. Access the Data Archive Web application by opening a Chrome browser and entering the following URL: https://rds.unsw.edu.au. At the Data Archive login page, enter your UNSW zID (for User:) and zPass (for Password:) and click ‘Login'.
On the upper left side of the screen, you’ll see the Asset Finder icon.
2. Double click on the Asset Finder icon to open.
3. In Asset Finder, navigate via the folder structure, in the second pane, to the location of the file/s you wish to open.
4. To open a file double click or right click and select either 'Open' or 'Open With..' on the required file, in the third pane of asset finder.
Note: image files (jpeg, gif, png) will offer the option to open in either 'Image Viewer' or 'External viewer' if you double click on an image file. Selection of the 'Image Viewer' option will open the image inside the application.
Note: selection of the 'External Viewer' will present your browser's default display option for that file type.
Help and further information:
- To learn more about the Data Archive:
- go to the Start here page
- see all Help Topics
- see all Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- browse through the carousel on the homepage to view all available videos
- To access the Data Archive Web application, use this link, or, go to the Home page for other access options
- To create, or update, a Research Data Management Plan go to the ResData service
- Note: the Data Archive service is also available over SFTP, see the SFTP client guide for more information