When should I delete / remove the local copy of my data?
To comply with best practice, as to data management, and to ensure that the research data uploaded to the Data Archive is always recoverable/retrievable, it is recommended that you do not remove/delete local copies of the research data you have uploaded to the Data Archive until two weeks after initial upload to ensure a copy of the data stored in the Data Archive has also gone offsite (in tape format).
To confirm that the data you have uploaded have been committed (copied) to tape:
- Click on any file (in the third pane of Asset Finder) and, in the fourth pane, scroll down to Content:, Status:
- A Status of OFFLINE or ONLINE_AND_OFFLINE indicates that the data has been copied onto tape.
Note: data in the archive can be expected to be copied onto tape within 24 hours of upload and tapes are physically taken off-site weekly.
Help and further information:
- To learn more about the Data Archive:
- To access the Data Archive Web application, use this link, or, go to the Home page for other access options
- To create, or update, a Research Data Management Plan go to the ResData service
- Note: the Data Archive service is also available over SFTP, see the SFTP client guide for more information